Greenland Highlights
Your comprehensive travel guide to Greenland - All in one place!
Greenland, which is known as the Scandinavian country is an autonomous nation situated in the Kingdom of Denmark. It is almost the last part of the world and 80% of the land area is covered with ice almost throughout the year and the population of the country lives along the rest of the 20% of its land area which is ice free. This country is famous for its summer midnight sun. This island country is surrounded by icebergs and glaciers making the island one of the most beautiful parts of the world. So plan your next holiday destination to this amazing place.

Geography
The Greenland coastline is rugged, mountainous, and for the most part, barren. The land then rises to a sloping icecap that covers 81 percent of the island. In places that ice has been measured at more than 11,000 feet thick. Countless rocky islands ring the coastline central to south.
Some scientists have claimed that the Greenland ice sheet may actually conceal three large separate island land masses that have been bridged by glaciers since the last ice age.
In 2002, as the ice in the far north began to melt, it left a small island exposed to daylight. Additional islands are expected to be discovered if that melting trend continues.
There are nearly 40 glaciers covering the Greenland landmass, and one of the largest is the Peterman. Recently a chunk of ice broke off the Peterman; an area of ice 100 square miles and 600ft thick. It is now drifting in a remote area called the Nares Strait between Greenland and Canada.

Culture
The culture of Greenland is based largely on Inuit traditions mixed with a healthy amount of Scandinavian and Norse culture. With the majority of the population of Inuit heritage, these are the dominant traditions which can be manifested in art, among other things. Hunting is viewed as a defining characteristic of Inuit culture with the practice hugely important in Greenlandic life.

Population
Greenland has around 56,000 inhabitants. They mostly live in the 20 % of the country that is not covered by ice and snow.
The first humans to set foot on Greenland arrived some 4,000-5,000 years ago from the North American continent via Canada, after the sea froze in the narrow strait at Thule in Northern Greenland. No less than six different Inuit cultures have migrated in distinct waves.
Greenland’s current population is descended from the last migration, the Thule culture, who began arriving in the 1200s AD. At the same time, Norsemen led by the Norwegian Viking Erik the Red settled in Southern Greenland. The Norse population disappeared around 1500AD for reasons that have never been fully explained.
Because of the Arctic climate, the people of Greenland mostly live on the coast in settlements and cities. Historically, fishery and hunting have been the key to survival due to the short summers. Greenland's climate and geography make farming almost impossible, except for the extreme south of the country, where sheep farming is popular.














No Tours Found!